Jan 10, 2009

I missed the first two apocalypses...: Fallout 3


I am lacking on Video Game postage lately. That's because I lack the funds to run out and buy every cool video game that comes out. Some of you (well, not my regular readers) can run out to the store and just buy whatever you feel like because Mom and Dad both went to college and got high paying jobs and can do things like run out and buy you an Avalanche. 

There I go again. Anyway, I picked up a copy of Fallout 3 for my 360. Bethesda Softworks (Morrowind, Oblivion) is the developer behind this much-acclaimed FPS/RPG (that's nerd-talk for 'first-person shooter' and 'role playing game' respectively). I have heard countless good things about it, so I decided to bite the bullet and give it a shot. It takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where people are struggling against life in the harsh wasteland-like remains of the planet earth.  There are towns that are thrown together out of junk and cities that look like one huge shanty. The player starts off as a child and much like Oblivion, you go through the trivial task of creating your character (I never understood this, maybe it's because the nerds that play these games all night are the same people that wish they could've chosen what they look like...) and deciding whether or not his forehead angles forward or backward and whether or not his chin could club you to death or open a tin can. 

The gameplay itself is also fun. You go through the game making decisions that effect your karma (good or bad choices) and all actions have consequences. The first time I played it through, I just killed all the ugly and annoying people. Now, I'm trying to be a good guy.  If you've ever played Morrowind or Oblivion you will feel right at home. In fact, you'll feel in a much nicer home than you're own, because gameplay has been cleaned up to a near-perfect. Yes, it is that good of a game.


No comments: